Photography has been a longtime passion and sometimes vocation. From 2004-2015 my primary interest was photographing ghost towns, junkyards, and modern ruins by the light of the moon. I taught night photography, Photoshop, and Lightroom classes at colleges and workshops during much of this time. I've also enjoyed shooting 360º panoramas.
As of late 2016, I'm only occasionally participating in the presentation layer of photography as follows:
- Stay tuned to the blog has occasional photos and updates.
- View a weird and wonderful collection of photos on Tumblr.
- See links about cars, film, music, & photography on Twitter.
- Discover books, including photography books, on Goodreads.
Articles & Interviews
- B&H Photo Travel Series: How to Shoot 360 Panoramas, 2014
- Video presentation on The Panographers, Episode 5: Panography of the Dark, 2013
- Night photography interview on Luces de la Noche, 2013
- The View All Around You: How A Pro Photographer Shoots 360-Degree Panoramas on Digital Trends, 2013
- This Tresspasser Does the Shooting: Photographing Forbidden Places on Digital Trends, 2013
- Night Photography: Interview with Emily Chiverton, 2013
- San Francisco Chronicle article: Photographers find light in the dead of night, 10/8/2011
- 10 questions about fine art photography: Interview with Holli Brunkala, 2011
- Featured on La Lettre De La Photographie, 2010
- Featured on Rachel Hulin's A Photography Blog, 2010
- Interview with Andy Frazer - Part One and Part Two, 2010
- Q&A with Joe Reifer & Troy Paiva: Interview with Blake Andrews, 2010
- Old cars, they just don't make 'em like they used to: Interview with Laura Greb, 2010
- 9 Questions on Urbex: Interview with Alan Rapp, 2009
- Night Photography: Interview with Mark Welker, 2009
- The Night Writerz: Night Photography Podcast Interview on iTunes, 2009
- Ascendancy: Steve Harper and the San Francisco School of Night Photography
Rayko Photo Center, San Francisco. December 8, 2016 - January 13, 2017.
- The Highway: A Lost Culture - Rasdall Gallery, University of Kentucky - April 2012
- Nocturnes 20th Anniversary - Harvey Milk Photo Center, San Francisco, CA - 2011
- Mare Island Nocturnes - Mare Island Historic Park Fdn Museum, Vallejo, CA - 2011
- The Nocturnes at 20 - Sanchez Art Center, Pacifica, CA - 2011
- Darkness Darkness - Art Complex Museum, Duxbury, MA - 2010-2011
- Dark Resort - Lucky Ju Ju, Alameda, CA - 2010
- Night Light - Lightbox Gallery, Astoria, OR - 2010
- Casual Abyss (Hamburger Eyes) - Mission Cultural Center, San Francisco, CA - 2010
- Big M: Classic Cars Under the Moonlight - Lucky Ju Ju, Alameda, CA - 2009
- Darkness Darkness - 3 Columns Gallery, Boston, MA - 2008
- Toy Camera Dreams - Lucky Ju Ju, Alameda, CA - 2008
- Boneyard - Lucky Ju Ju, Alameda, CA - 2007
- Cerrito Theater - El Cerrito, CA - 2007
- Abandoned After Dark - Lucky Ju Ju, Alameda, CA - 2006
- San Mateo City Hall - San Mateo, CA - 2006
- Studio Nocturne - Fort Mason, San Francisco, CA - 2006
- After Dark And In The Streets - Lucky Ju Ju, Alameda, CA - 2005